PRMA Announces Winner of 2016 PRMA Leadership Award
September 9, 2016
PALM BEACH, Fla. – October 10, 2016 – Private Risk Management Association (PRMA) has announced that Ross Buchmueller, an innovator, entrepreneur, and leader in the high net worth insurance industry, will receive the 2016 PRMA Leadership Award. Buchmueller, president and chief executive officer of the PURE Group of Insurance Companies, will receive the recognition at this year’s PRMA Summit, which takes place November 13-15 near Chicago.
The prestigious Leadership Award, created by the PRMA board of trustees, recognizes individuals who excel in the industry and share PRMA’s vision to educate professionals who serve the high net worth community. The board voted unanimously to award Buchmueller. Last year’s inaugural winner was Sara Hamilton, CEO and founder of the Family Office Exchange.
“Ross is always striving to take the industry to the next level and challenging us all to improve the level of service, programs and advice we offer,” says Lisa Lindsay, executive director of PRMA.
As a leader in the industry, Buchmueller has a long track record for developing solutions that are specifically aimed at serving the needs of affluent clients.
- In 1999, he started AIG Private Client Group (PCG) to serve the ultra-high net worth market, and in its six years under his leadership, PCG saw approximately $500 million of organic premium growth and consistent underwriting profit while serving 40 percent of the Forbes 400 Richest Americans.
- While at AIG, Buchmueller pioneered the development of the Wildfire Mitigation Program, which offers pre-fire and emergency response services intended to reduce, or even prevent loss from wildfires.
- In 2006, Buchmueller founded and launched PURE as a member-owned insurer designed to address the consumer demand for an alignment of interests between policyholders and their insurers, as well as a reduction of conflicts that naturally exist in the insurance industry. Since that time, nearly 60,000 families have come together to form their own insurer, which was named Best Insurance Product Provider for 2016 by the Family Wealth Report.
- Over the past decade under his leadership, PURE has been recognized not only for its service to policyholders but in the unique working environment for employees. PURE recently was included in Fortune Magazine’s Best Places to Work in Insurance and Financial Services, was a 2015 winner of the CultureIQ/Entrepreneur Magazine Top Corporate Culture and a 2016 SmartCEO Award Winner for Corporate Culture.
- In 2014, Buchmueller was a winner of the prestigious EY Entrepreneur of the Year.
- And, in 2013, Buchmueller was instrumental in founding PRMA, the first independent, nonprofit trade association designed to raise the standards of service and advice for those working in the HNW insurance industry. He currently serves on its Board of Trustees.
“He’s an innovator who is constantly forging a new path. Whether it’s building a culture that enables employees to simply do the right thing for clients, developing revolutionary new programs to fill a void in markets, or going above and beyond when it comes to service and claims, Ross’ numerous contributions make him truly one of a kind and deserving of this award,” Lindsay added.
“I am so honored and humbled to receive this award,” says Buchmueller. “PRMA is a wonderful organization with an important mission and I’m proud to help carry out the vision,” he added.
At the Summit, PRMA also plans to announce the winners of the JoAnn Heltibridle Award, the Dow Underwriting Award and the Emerging Leader Award. These are given to individuals who’ve made extraordinary contributions while serving the HNW community. Registration for the summit is currently open. For more information, visit www.prmasummit.org.
The Private Risk Management Association (PRMA) is a member-owned independent non-profit association founded by leaders in the private risk management and insurance industry. PRMA’s mission is to improve the advice, coverage and service provided to the high net worth insurance consumer through education and increased awareness. PRMA provides specialized education and information and establishes standards and credentials while raising the awareness of and advocating for the niche and consumers served.
Editor’s note: Ross Buchmueller is a member of the PRMA board but did not vote on the Leadership Award. Interviews with Ross Buchmueller and Lisa Lindsay are available upon request.