Below are some facts about the acquisition and how it will impact the Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange (PURE) Membership.
1. On February 7, 2020, Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc. and its affiliates (Tokio Marine) completed their 100% acquisition of Privilege Underwriters Inc (PUI). Tokio Marine is one of the largest global insurers and operates in 45 countries and regions with over $33B in market capitalization. Tokio Marine is rated A++ “(Superior)” from A.M. Best – the single highest rating that A.M. Best provides.
2. PURE is part of the PURE Group of Insurance Companies (PURE Group), which also includes a subsidiary of Privilege Underwriters, Inc. (PUI). Subsidiaries of PUI serve as attorney-in-fact for PURE in exchange for a fee and provide capital support and capital flexibility to PURE, which enhance its financial strength.
3. PURE, your insurance company, has not been acquired and PURE’s reciprocal structure, and the associated benefits of membership, remain unchanged. There is no action required on your part as a result of this transaction. The PURE team remains fully engaged to help you with claims, risk management, billing, or other service needs.
Here is the new structure for the PURE Group and affiliated companies:
4. This transaction increases the financial strength and flexibility of the PURE Group without changing what members love about PURE.
As noted above, PURE will continue to operate as a reciprocal insurance exchange, with all of the benefits of membership. However, its affiliated companies in the PURE Group now have the financial backing of Tokio Marine, one of the largest and most respected insurers in the world.
The PURE Group’s financial strength rating of “A” (Excellent) from AM Best has been “under review with positive implications” since the announcement of this transaction. We are optimistic that AM Best and other major rating agencies will soon reflect the support of Tokio Marine in their ratings of the PURE Group.
5. This transaction does not impact your premium.
PURE’s aim is, and has always been, to charge the “right” price for insurance, not the highest. This dynamic does not change with our new owners. That’s not to say, however, that your policy premium won’t change at renewal. We routinely adjust rates to ensure they accurately reflect our latest views of risk.
6. The way in which you work with your current independent insurance broker does not change.
7. The benefits and obligations of membership are unchanged, including Surplus Contributions and Subscriber Savings Accounts (SSAs).
In order to keep PURE’s cost of capital low (which helps support lower premiums), members will continue to make Surplus Contributions for each of their first five years of membership. And we remain committed each year to return to members any premium collected in excess of the claims and expenses paid by PURE, through allocation to SSAs. Learn more about SSAs at www.pureinsurance.com/ssa.
8. PURE’s leadership and commitment to serve the membership are not changing.
The same management team that founded PURE 14 years ago, and who built it into the company that it is today, will remain in place and continue to oversee operations.
9. The Subscribers’ Advisory Committee (SAC) remains intact and unchanged.
Learn more about the important role this group of PURE members play in making PURE an even better company at www.pureinsurance.com/sac.
10. PURE will continue to enhance its service offerings and grow the team in place to serve the membership.
There are no expectations for cost reduction, downsizing, or consolidation resulting from this transaction. PURE is always looking to add exceptional, service-oriented individuals to our team. If you’re interested in learning more, visit www.pureinsurance.com/careers.
In recent months, PURE has started rolling out a series of updates that help improve the member experience, including the new Member Portal and Advice Dashboard. There are exciting plans to continue enhancing our product and service offerings which it expects to announce in the coming months—stay tuned for more!
Mon–Fri 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET | Sat 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM ET