Coverage for fraud and cyber fraud.
Fraud and cybercrime are on the rise, and due to their wealth and uniquely complex lives, high net worth individuals are at a greater risk of being targeted. To help you respond to these risks, PURE Starling™ is an optional endorsement to our Homeowners policy designed to provide coverage for losses caused by fraud and cybercrime while providing access to resources to help you recover if you become a victim.
- Online and Offline Fraud Coverage. Our coverage helps to reimburse you for financial loss due to fraud, whether it’s committed online or off. Examples include social engineering, unauthorized transfer or payment, forgery or alteration of checks, acceptance of counterfeit money, cryptocurrency and more.
- Cyber Extortion Coverage. If you are the target of cyber extortion—a type of online attack in which a cybercriminal demands money to prevent the damage or distribution of content or to restore access to the functionality of your device—our coverage affords immediate access to crisis management advice to help you best respond to the threat and, in the event a payment is made, covers the amount of the payment.
- Data Recovery and System Restoration Coverage. Should you become the target of a cyberattack, our policy helps provide coverage for the cost of a professional to reinstall damaged software, remove malicious code, reconfigure your device or system and replace electronic data that has been lost or corrupted.
- Breach Notification Costs Coverage. If you are the victim of a cyber-breach, PURE’s policy may reimburse you up to the coverage limit for the cost of legal advice to determine how to deal with the breach, hiring a company to investigate the cause of and length of the breach, and notifying individuals who may have been impacted.
- Privacy and Security Claims Coverage. If a lawsuit is brought upon you by another party as a result of a fraud or cyber-breach, PURE’s coverage may reimburse you up to the coverage limit for the necessary defense costs incurred.
- Customizable Levels of Protection. Coverage limits of $100,000, $250,000, $500,000, $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 are available. Availability of the $250,000, $500,000, $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 limits are subject to no prior fraud, cyber or breach incidents in the past 5 years. Please note that Data Recovery and Systems Restoration, as well as Breach Notification Costs sub-limits apply, regardless of the limit selected.
A PURE member wired $11,000 to reserve a vacation home for their family from what appeared to be a legitimate online rental website. It was later discovered that the listing was fake and not affiliated with the site. The money had been transferred to a fraudulent account in England and was unable to be recovered.
When a PURE member discovered $240,000 had been wired from his account, he contacted his bank. He learned the bank had received an email appearing to be from the member and had called the member’s cell phone to validate the transaction. The criminal had redirected the member’s cell number to their own phone and confirmed the amount and wire instructions.
A PURE member was browsing the Internet when they received a pop-up window stating their computer would be locked and all files would be deleted unless a $10,000 ransom was paid within the next 24 hours.